Satopanth Tal (Lake) is a hidden treasure of Uttarakhand, Situated in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand state. The Satopanth Tal has the summit at an altitude of 4600 meters ( 15100ft ). The trek to this unique place begins at Mana Village (last village of India) near Badrinath. Many people believe that Hindu holy trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva take a bath here on auspicious days.
Satopanth Lake is roughly in between 3 giant peaks Mt. Chaoukhamba, Mt Neelkanth, and Mt Balakun. This same route that the Pandavas took during their journey to heaven at the end of Mahabharata. Throughout your journey, green mountains, deep blue sky and innumerable glaciers will accompany you. During night weather is good if the sky is clear and moonlight on peaks made them more beautiful. This unique lake remains under snow from the end of September to end of June.
- Highest Altitudes: 6150 m
- Difficulty Level: Challenging
- Best Season: Jully, Aug, Sept, Oct
- Terrain: Meadows, Rocky, Snow Fields, Glacier
- Starts At: Leh & Ends At: Leh
- Region: Ladakh – India
- Nearest Airport: Leh, Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport
- Nearest Railway Station: Katra, Jammu Tawi
Day 1- Haridwar to Pandukeshwar 320 km ( 6050 ft)(10 hrs. drive)
Reporting at Haridwar near the railway station at 06:00 AM & proceed to Pandukeshwar (You're expected to reach at Haridwar on the previous night).Our cab driver will meet up at Haridwar Railway Station by 6:00 am in the morning. We will hire a cab to drive to Pandukeshwar. ( The cost of the vehicle will be shared among all the participants at actual). Overnight stay at hotel in Pandukeshwar.
Day 2- Pandukeshwar to Mana by drive and trek to Laxmi ban ( 28 km drive and 10 km trek 12500 ft)
Start early in the morning from Pandukeshwar and drive to Mana Village - India’s Last village. Once we take permission we will start walking towards Vasudhara Falls. The foot trek starts from Mana village. On the way, you will be passing via Bhim Pool and Saraswati River. A pebble trail and a gentle incline, the walk is surrounded by meadows and towering snow peaks. After 3/4 hrs of a walk from Mana Village, you will be reaching Vasudhara Falls. The height of the falls is over 400 feet and the waters flow into the Alakananda River. From here another 2 hrs walk to our camp, Laxmi Van. Overnight stay in the tents.
Day 3- Laxmi ban to Chakrateeratha via Sahastradhara ( 8.5 km 13650 ft)
Today after breakfast we will start our trek Chakrateertha via Sahashradhara. Initially, the first 3km trek is fairly easy. We walk upon glacial moraine as we make our way to the meadows of Sahashradhara. The journey to our camp Chakrateertha also offers some exceptional & scenic beauty. Once you reach the campsite you can see a beautiful view of Mt. Neelkanth. Overnight stay in tents.
Day 4- Chakrateeratha to Satopanth Tal ( 5 km 14750 ft)
Trek starts with steep climbs and continues along a well-defined uphill path to Satopanth Tal. The climb begins on the hill behind the lake to traverse the moraine, scree, stoned paved path. After reaching the lake you will realize that all the pain was worth taking to be where you are! Nature is at its best form here, tranquillity for those who love peace and quiet.
Throughout your journey, green mountains, deep blue sky and innumerable glaciers will accompany you. At night, the weather is good, if the sky is clear and moonlight on peaks made them more beautiful. Overnight stay in tents.
Day 5- Satopanth Tal to Laxmi ban via Chakrateeratha ( 11 km)
The view of the snow-covered peaks early in the morning, the sunrise reflection of Mt. Chaukhamba massif on the Satopanth Tal is mesmerising. Beautiful reflections of snow clad mountain ranges can be witnessed in the lake. After breakfast, we will start trekking back towards Laxmi ban. Its take 5/6 hrs to reach the camp. Overnight stay in tents.
Day 6- Laxmi Ban to Pandukeshwar by Mana and Badrinath (12 km trek and 28 km drive)
After breakfast, we start trekking down towards Mana Village. It will take 5/6 hrs time to reach Mana Village. Our vehicles will be waiting for us at Mana village. start back to Pandukeshwar by cab, Check in to the hotel and retire for a day.
Day 7- Pandukeshwar to Haridwar ( 320 km drive) (10 hrs. drive)
You can start early in the morning from Pandukeshwar and reach Haridwar by 6:00 pm. (We will hire a cab at Pandukeshwar drive to Haridwar and the costing will be shared among all the participants) The drive will take around 9/10 hours.
What is included in the tour
- Activity: Trekking, Camping, sightseeing etc
- Tented Accommodation
- All meals while on trek (Veg)
- Permits (Foreign national need to pay extra on spot)
- Basic First aid medical kits
- Qualified and experienced Trek Leader, support staff, Helpers
- Local route guide
- Camping Tents, Kitchen tents, Dining Tent and Sleeping bags and Carry mats.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Meals during transit
- Mineral Water or soft drinks
- Mules or porter to carry personal luggage while trekking.
- Cost Escalation due to natural reason.
- Unscheduled stay due to a landslide.
- Transportation of any kind (Can be shared between trekkers)
- Ruck Sack : Compulsory to carry strong and steady rucksack, Between 55 to 60 Litre
- Ruck sack cover : Protect your things from quick rain or snowfall
- Day Pack : Optional, carry only if you are planning to offload your bigger bag. If you are offloading your bigger backpack then you have to carry your personal valuable things, water bottles, pack lunch, raincoat/poncho etc.
- Trekking Shoes: Good quality rubber soul shoes with ankle support is advisable. Please make sure that shoes are well use before trek. Note: Sports shoes are not recommended but you can carry as additional back up shoes.
- T-shirts: As per your need, carry at least one quick dry type, avoid too bright/dark colours T-shirts. Cotton T-shirts avoid especially while walking. Full sleeves T-shirts are recommended.
- Track Pants: As per your need, one synthetic quick dry type track pant is highly recommended.
- Warm Jacket: Highly recommended, one thick fleece jacket/ Down feather jacket is must to carry. You can use this when you cool down at camp.
- Windproof Jacket/ Windcheater: We advised to carry, it is resisting wind chill/snowfall and quick burst of light rain.
- Thermal Wear: You can use this once you reach at campsite. Thermal keep your body warm especially during harsh winter temperatures.
- Towel: One medium size light weight towel quick dry type
- Raincoat/ Poncho: Raincoat/ ponchos is a water-resistance to protect the body from rain.
- Woollen Cap / Balaclava: Mandatory to carry woollen cap or balaclava to protect from cold.
- Sun cap / Hat: To protect you from direct sunlight
- Undergarments: As per your need.
- Socks: Hiking socks has ability wick moisture and keep feet dry. Full length socks are advisable.
- Hand Gloves: Compulsory to carry, few gloves are constructed of water resistant or waterproof material that keep your fingers dry.
- Walking stick / Trekking pole: Trekking pole provide useful literal stability on rough terrain and give balance while descending also reduce pressure on knee.
- Water Bottle/ Hydration pack: Compulsory to carry, please do not carry packaged drinking water bottles.
- Sunglasses: Compulsory to carry. It is protecting from snow blindness. Person who use spectacle need to carry custom make powered sunglasses.
- Head Torch / Torch: It is mandatory to carry with extra batteries. Head torch is advisable to keep your hands free while walking.
- Sunscreen Lotion: Optional, advisable to carry sunscreen lotion (SPF 50+ and more)
- Chapstick/ Cold cream: Optional, As per your need
- Toilet Kit Must to carry, Personal toilet kit (toilet paper)
- Sandals / Slippers: Optional, to walk around camp
- Small Lunch Box & Tea mug: Compulsory, sometimes we give pack lunch so you can carry pack lunch items in it (one small leak proof lunch box is the best one), also carry one tea mug/glass
- Dry Fruits / Energy Bars: We provide healthy adequate food on trip. Some do feel very less energetic compare to others, so you carry energy bars, dry fruits etc.
- Repairs Kit: Must, one small repair kit which includes safety pins, needle, thread and string
- Personal Medical Kit: Must to carry small basic first aid. If you are taking any specific medicine from your doctor please inform us in advance. There will be a basic first kit will be available throughout the trek. Our Instructor has done a first aid course.
- Camera: Optional, to capture your lifetime memories.