Ratangad is one of the jewels of Sahaydri. It lies in the Ajoba mountain range surrounded by great mountains of Kulang, Alang, Kalsubai, Katarabai, Ajoba and Ghanchakkar. Geographically, Ratangad is at the banks of Bhandardara lake of Ahmednagar district. The fort is about 2000 years old. The road is scenic with lush green mountains and lot of streams. In rainy season, you might get to see lots of waterfalls as well.
Ratangad was captured by Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj. The base village, Ratanwadi has an Amruteshwar temple which is famous for its carvings. Ratangad has a natural rock peak with a cavity in it at the top which is called 'Nedhe' or 'Eye of the Needle'. The fort has four gates Ganesh, Hanuman, Konkan and Trimbak. It also has many wells on the top.
Altitude: 4250 ft
Distance from Mumbai = 190 km
Difficulty Level = Moderate
- Start from Mumbai by 9.30 pm.
- Reach Base camp, Ratanwadi at 5.30am and freshen up
- Introduction round and Briefing session
- Breakfast and start the trek.
- On the way Lunch (pack lunch)
- Reach Peak and sunset sightseeing on the fort.
- Vegetarian Dinner. (Sleep in the Form ruins/temple in sleeping bag)
- Wakeup call and Freshen up. (No restrooms/bathroom/changing rooms on the fort, freshening up will be in the wilderness)
- Have breakfast and Visit the fort.
- Start Climbing down.
- Reach to base and Lunch.
- Start back towards Mumbai.
- Reach Mumbai by 9:00 p.m
Good Trekking shoes
One back pack
Water bottles-2 litres
Change of clothes for three days
Sunscreen & sunglasses
Toiletries (Shampoo, towel, toothpaste, tissue paper, etc.)
Allergy medication (if any)
Energy food like chocolate, nutribars etc (If you wish)
Juice packs, Glucon-D etc. (If you wish)
Torches with new batteries
Masks, Gloves, Hand Sanitizers