The Deoriatal-Chandrashila summit is one of the most beautiful Garhwal Himalayan treks that you can start with. Trekking through dense jungle trails, the snow-capped mountains are truly something to watch. The Chopta Tungnath and Chandrashila trail goes through the scenic beauty of the place on each step of the trek. The forests bloom with rhododendrons and beautiful green grassland. Reaching the summit, you can experience the gallery of stunning snow peaks all the way and a spectacular view of the Himalayan peaks like Nanda Devi, Trishul, Kedarnath and many more!
The Chandrashila summit trek, is considered as one of the easy to moderate level treks in the Indian Himalayan region, located in Uttarakhand. We recommend this trek to all nature lovers. The trek is easy but needs preparation beforehand for beginners. Also called the Mini Switzerland of India as the beauty of the green plain mountains on the top will make you feel like heaven on earth.
- Difficulty: Easy - Moderate.
- Max Altitude: 12000 ft.
- Base Camp: Chopta Village.
- Duration: 4 Days 3 nights.
- Best Season: January to April
- Daytime Temperature: 10°C - 15°C
- Night-time Temperature: -1°C to -10°C
Day - 1: Haridwar to Chopta Village [ 6550 ft] 220 km 8/9 hrs journey.
Report at Haridwar railway station at 6.30am, to be on the safer side you can reach Haridwar the previous night. The drive from Haridwar to Chopta is very scenic and an adventurous journey which takes 8/9 hrs time. On the way, the driver will stop the vehicle for self-sponsored Breakfast and Lunch, you need full day for this as it is a longboard journey. During your travel journey the view is breath-taking. Our trek leader will meet you at Chopta village, in the evening you will have a briefing about entire trek.
Overnight stay in Guest house at Chopta.
Day - 2: Trek from Saari Village to Deoria Tal [8000 ft] 03km Trek 2/3 hrs.
After having breakfast we travel to Saari village which is just 3km from our homestay/guest house, then we start our trek towards Deoria Tal. Deoria Tal is a small mountain lake about 2.5 km uphill from Saari village. The path is well maintained and passes through rhododendrons forests. If you visit during flowering (summer) entire hills full of rhododendrons turn pink and looks out of the world. Deoria Tal offers a splendid view of mountains like Chaukhamba, Nilkantha, Bandarpunch, Kedar Range, Kalanag etc. If you just want to be lost for a few days and be one with nature, this is the place.
Day - 3: Chopta Village to Chandrashila peak via Tunganath [12080 ft] 10km Trek 7/8 hrs.
The trail to Tungnath and Chandrashila is five km uphill and is accessible by foot only. The trek is easy but needs good preparation beforehand for first timers. This trek is famous for wild animals, and also paradise for bird’s photography. Chopta is one of the hidden gems of the Himalayas in Gharwal. Tungnath is the highest Shiva temple in the world and is one of the five and the highest Panch Kedar temples located in the Rudraprayag district.
The beauty, serenity and boundless nature is unimaginable. It is surrounded by the Kedarnath Wildlife Sanctuary. There is a vast open space to view the sunset, with the snow-capped mountains accompanying you. From the top you can see beautiful mountain peaks like Nanda Devi(7817m), Chaukhamba (7138m), Trishul(7120m), Kedarnath(6831m) and Bandarpoonch(6316m) Peak. There are rocky cliffs, meadows, jungle streams and trekking trails, excellent bird life and stunning natural landscapes. This beautiful trek well known for 360-degree view of the mighty Himalayas from the Chandrashila peak.
Day - 4: Chopta to Haridwar, Distance: 220km, Approx. 8-9hrs Drive.
You can start early in the morning after having tea so that you can reach Rishikesh/Haridwar bby 5/6pm. We advise you to keep one extra day in your plan so that you can avoid missing flights or trains. We will arrange the vehicle (on request) to reach Haridwar/Rishikesh and vehicle charges payable in cash to the driver directly.
What is included in the tour
- Activity: Trekking, Camping, sightseeing etc
- Hotel Accommodation
- All meals while on trek (Veg)
- Permits (Foreign national need to pay extra on spot)
- Basic First aid medical kits
- Qualified and experienced Trek Leader, support staff, Helpers
- Local route guide
What is NOT included in the tour
- Meals during transit
- Mules or porter to carry personal luggage while trek.
- Cost Escalation due to natural reason.
- Unscheduled stay due to landslide.
- Any kind of hotel accommodation before and after departure dates.
- Transportation of any kind (but can be shared between trekkers)
- Ruck Sack : Compulsory to carry strong and steady rucksack, Between 55 to 60 Litre
- Ruck sack cover : Protect your things from quick rain or snowfall
- Day Pack : Optional, carry only if you are planning to offload your bigger bag. If you are offloading your bigger backpack then you have to carry your personal valuable things, water bottles, pack lunch, raincoat/poncho etc.
- Trekking Shoes: Good quality rubber soul shoes with ankle support is advisable. Please make sure that shoes are well use before trek. Note: Sports shoes are not recommended but you can carry as additional back up shoes.
- T-shirts: As per your need, carry at least one quick dry type, avoid too bright/dark colours T-shirts. Cotton T-shirts avoid especially while walking. Full sleeves T-shirts are recommended.
- Track Pants: As per your need, one synthetic quick dry type track pant is highly recommended.
- Warm Jacket: Highly recommended, one thick fleece jacket/ Down feather jacket is must to carry. You can use this when you cool down at camp.
- Windproof Jacket/ Windcheater: We advised to carry, it is resisting wind chill/snowfall and quick burst of light rain.
- Thermal Wear: You can use this once you reach at campsite. Thermal keep your body warm especially during harsh winter temperatures.
- Towel: One medium size light weight towel quick dry type
- Raincoat/ Poncho: Raincoat/ ponchos is a water-resistance to protect the body from rain.
- Woollen Cap / Balaclava: Mandatory to carry woollen cap or balaclava to protect from cold.
- Sun cap / Hat: To protect you from direct sunlight
- Undergarments: As per your need.
- Socks: Hiking socks has ability wick moisture and keep feet dry. Full length socks are advisable.
- Hand Gloves: Compulsory to carry, few gloves are constructed of water resistant or waterproof material that keep your fingers dry.
- Walking stick / Trekking pole: Trekking pole provide useful literal stability on rough terrain and give balance while descending also reduce pressure on knee.
- Water Bottle/ Hydration pack: Compulsory to carry, please do not carry packaged drinking water bottles.
- Sunglasses: Compulsory to carry. It is protecting from snow blindness. Person who use spectacle need to carry custom make powered sunglasses.
- Head Torch / Torch: It is mandatory to carry with extra batteries. Head torch is advisable to keep your hands free while walking.
- Sunscreen Lotion: Optional, advisable to carry sunscreen lotion (SPF 50+ and more)
- Chapstick/ Cold cream: Optional, As per your need
- Toilet Kit Must to carry, Personal toilet kit (toilet paper)
- Sandals / Slippers: Optional, to walk around camp
- Small Lunch Box & Tea mug: Compulsory, sometimes we give pack lunch so you can carry pack lunch items in it (one small leak proof lunch box is the best one), also carry one tea mug/glass
- Dry Fruits / Energy Bars: We provide healthy adequate food on trip. Some do feel very less energetic compare to others, so you carry energy bars, dry fruits etc.
- Repairs Kit: Must, one small repair kit which includes safety pins, needle, thread and string
- Personal Medical Kit: Must to carry small basic first aid. If you are taking any specific medicine from your doctor please inform us in advance. There will be a basic first kit will be available throughout the trek. Our Instructor has done a first aid course.
- Camera: Optional, to capture your lifetime memories.